Yesterday I had a crit reviewing my progress so far and was able to get everyone’s opinions on some of the things I’ve been stuck with which was a huge help and a relief.
The main thing I’ve been struggling with is making my imagery sequential and making what I have so far more relevant and interesting as at the minute my work could be seen as a selection of symbols on fabric with not much meaning. I also had questions on how I’d mounted everything so far and wanted to know if the imagery I’d created so far for my graphics collaboration was okay.
This week my imagery was printed onto fabric which is something I’ve never done before and a very exciting part of this project for me!
‘The Color Purple’ is an epistolary novel, made up of letters in communication between protagonist Celie and eventually her sister Nettie. Individually, the letters don’t bear much meaning but when brought together in the form of the whole novel they have meaning. With the symbols I created, these don’t have much meaning separately in a similar sense but when bought together, links can be made and a narrative can be seen. At this stage, the imagery I printed onto the fabric can still be refined but I think this is a good start which I am happy with.
Unfortunately it has been a while since I have been able reflect in detail on my progress and learning so far. Thankfully I have made a lot of progress in the past couple of weeks I feel!
The image below is from almost 2 weeks ago or perhaps less where I laid all my work out so far in the order I completed it. At this point and looking at pretty much all of it spread out in this way, it was still quite scarce. I like to lay everything out and work out of the sketchbook so I can see everything in this way, and see a progression and development of my ideas. This also helps when considering how to lay out my portfolio.